About the Client
French, a multinational advertising and communications company Publicis Groupe, is one of the big four global advertising holding companies, conducting its operations in approximately 196 cities in 104 countries.
To unify data sharing applications and interfaces throughout eight companies and 100+ business units with 8,000 employees at 193 offices in 75 countries.
- An enterprise-wide system of IT standards for project costing, purchasing, payables, billing, accounts receivable, general ledger, and time and labor.
- In the highly competitive world of advertising and communications, the efficient sharing of ideas and information is the foundation upon which a companyâ€™s reputation and success are built. During a period of dynamic growth, re:SOURCES, a shared service organization of Publicis Groupe (then the MacManus Group)* realized that its homegrown financial and human resources systems could no longer support its global operations. One of the largest communications companies in the world, the company had to repeatedly build and customize interfaces and data reporting features for its eight companies, each of which maintained its own policies, procedures and administrative protocols. In addition, several mergers and acquisitions had resulted in a variety of different business models.
- â€œAs our company continued to grow, it became increasingly difficult to manage the ongoing maintenance and improvement of customized software systems while trying to be responsive to our business units.â€ said Jim Dileo, senior VP of worldwide information technology at Publicis Groupe. â€œWe needed to establish some clear IT standards that would enable us to share and collaborate on a worldwide basis.â€
Publicis Groupe Needed Integrated Financial Processes and Systems to Keep Pace with its Rapid Growth
- CherryRoad Technologiesâ€™ implementation of a standardized financial reporting system across the multiple organizations.
Precise and Timely Information Leads to Improved Profitability
- After an extensive evaluation, re:SOURCES selected CherryRoad to manage and implement their financial and time and labor software. Utilizing our unique RDS (Rapid Deployment of Software) methodology, we identified the organizationâ€™s existing capabilities, defined their emerging requirements and began the implementation process. An important element in the success of the project was CherryRoadâ€™s in-depth knowledge of the software and our understanding of Publicis Groupeâ€™s needs.
- Our rollout team was on the scene several weeks in advance to make sure the business units were ready to make the most of the system. A detailed analysis and checklist helps ensure that customizations are minimized and kept on target. We conducted a walk-through and developed an issues log for further system refinements. The modules went live and we subsequently began rolling out to all North American business units.
- â€œWe increased the flexibility and responsiveness of our organization and avoided spending a ton of money retrofitting our older applications,â€ says Dileo. â€œWe can now track our resources and keep our projects on target. Web-enabled solutions provide employees, clients and even vendors with easy access to up-to-date information.â€
- â€œCherryRoad Technologies understands that flexibility and adaptability are essential for success in the communications industry,â€ said Publicis Groupeâ€™s project manager for the implementation. â€œWith CherryRoad Technologies as our partner, we implemented a software solution that lets us measure the profitability of individual projects and customer accounts, allocate personnel and resources more effectively and support the overall growth of our business.â€
- According to Lois Drumhiller, Publicis Groupeâ€™s technical project manager, â€œWeâ€™ve been able to provide real-time reporting and a lot more project management capabilities to the local offices. We designed how we wanted to view our client business, as well as our internal business. The software handles that very well.â€ She added, â€œIt has certainly been wonderful partnering with CherryRoad Technologies.â€
A standardized, organization-wide system for real-time reporting, project costing, and other financial reporting capabilities.
The CherryRoad Advantage
- The key to the success of CherryRoad Technologiesâ€™ implementation for Publicis Groupe is the customized project costing system. It allows managers to determine each clientâ€™s contribution to their profit rate and deliver reports customized for the needs of each operating unit. Armed with up-to-date information, managing the diverse groups of creative, account and production teams has become dramatically easier. Best of all, it helps Publicis Groupe provide better service to its clients by controlling costs, and thatâ€™s a big competitive edge. In addition, the scalability of the system first implemented in 1999 has positioned the organization to utilize the application across the larger Publicis organization.
- The MacManus Group and Leo Burnett merged to become Bcom3 in 2000. Subsequently, Publicis Groupe (the international advertising/communications firm) acquired Bcom3 in 2002, to become the worldâ€™s fourth largest advertising, PR, and communications firm. This case study describes work that CherryRoad performed for the re:SOURCES division of The MacManus Group prior to and during these organizational changes.